Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring in Minnesota

Spring has finally sprung here in Minnesota. Mother's Day is just around the corner. Each year the Adoption Agency that I place my children through invites me to a dinner to celebrate and honor Birthmothers. This is a wonderful place to meet with and have conversations with other women that have placed a child for adoption. Every year I bring along my mom. Many of the women do the same, some bring a spouse or a friend, some bring the adoptive mother. This event also provides my mom time to talk with other birth grandma's, someone that really understands. For many birth grandma's these children that were placed for adoption would be there first grand child, this can be very difficult... our mothers know what it is to be a mom and for some of them, they can not imagine placing their own child into the arms of another. Grandmothers are often very affected by their grandchildren no longer being "their" grandchildren, this dinner provides a great outlet for birthgrandmas to meet and chat. Along those lines my mother used to run a support group for birth grandmothers and all other family members effected by the adoption process, if you find yourself in that position she or I would be happy to meet with you. The group she led did not have much demand but we are always happy to meet one on one. I'm looking forward to Mother's Day! What a blessing it is for me to be a birth mother, as well as a parenting mother. All of my children bring great joy to my heart, a day and time set apart to celebrate Mothers of all kinds is wonderful. If you are a mother and you are reading this. Please take a moment to honor yourself, you made the choice of life for your child, you have made many sacrifices along the way if you are parenting or have placed your child for adoption. God Bless all you mothers, it is hard work and thank you for doing it.

No comments: